There are many fascinating things to read on blog.gov.uk. However there isn’t a blogroll (a list of all the blogs) available in Outline Processor Markup Language (OPML) format. OPML files can be imported to your favourite blog reader. This saves you time and effort.
So one weekend I hacked together:
- an OPML file which you can download from cattell.com/BlogGovUK.opml
- some integration using If This Then That (IFTTT)
- Twitter account @New_Blog_Posts
I used this to inform the Service Manager community of interesting things. I continue to use it for my own learning and development. Sometimes I share things I see with a wider audience.
Keeping this service updated is currently a manual process. Every Monday morning I:
- view the current blogs at blog.gov.uk
- check them against cattell.com/BlogGovUK.opml
- IF there are NO changes or additions then ENDIF
- ELSE update cattell.com/BlogGovUK.opml and ifttt.com/p/new_blog_posts/shared